Business Investment Assistant

Why Lawrence? 

Lawrence Township is an extraordinary place to launch a small business or expand a large corporation. Its strong economy, recreational and entertainment opportunities, diverse population, world-renowned educational institutions, and geographic location differentiate Lawrence as an ideal cultural and economic hub. The Township is a community of twenty-two square miles located in the center of Mercer County, New Jersey. Princeton and West Windsor Townships border it on the north. Its southern neighbor is the City of Trenton, the state capital. It is bordered on the east by Hamilton Township and on the west by Ewing and Hopewell Townships. The Township and its surrounding communities host one of the largest concentrations of diversified research and development activities in the nation. Among the country's largest corporations that pursue such activities are Educational Testing Service and Bristol-Myers Squib, both of which are in Lawrence. Smaller corporate and office complexes are concentrated at the various Interstate 95 interchanges within the community. Three large retail establishments serve township residents, as well as residents of neighboring communities. The Quaker Bridge Mall, a regional enclosed shopping mall anchored by two major department stores; the Mercer Mall; and the Lawrence Shopping Center provide retail opportunities within the Township's borders. Lawrence township is uniquely positioned within commuting distance to both Philadelphia and New York, approximately 33 and 54 miles in distance. 


History

Lawrence Township was founded in 1697 and was originally known as Maidenhead, named by the early settlers after a Thames River village just west of London. Originally Maidenhead was part of Burlington County, the colony of West Jersey. The eastern boundary of Maidenhead, the Province Line, was the dividing line between the two original colonies of East and West Jersey. These were united into New Jersey in 1702. In 1714, the Township became part of the newly-constituted Hunterdon County. The Township was legally incorporated through an act of the State legislature in 1798. In 1816, the municipality was renamed Lawrence, after Captain James Lawrence, commander of the frigate Chesapeake and one of the naval heroes of the War of 1812. In 1838, Mercer County was formed from parts of Hunterdon, Middlesex, and Burlington Counties. The Township's boundaries and geographic relationships have remained the same with the exception of the southern border. Lawrence claimed an area of East Trenton from 1844 to 1882. It then became an independent jurisdiction known as Millham Township until it once again became part of Trenton in 1888.