No answers matched your search
Affordable Housing
What is Affordable Housing?

The Township of Lawrence adopted an Ordinance in 1984 to meet the housing needs of low and moderate-income people. As required by this Ordinance, new developments must include low and moderate income units. These units are sold according to the income ceiling for low and moderate- income buyers. Therefore, a qualifying buyer will be able to own a new home that has mortgage payments that are adjusted to income.

In order to continue the benefits of home ownership to low and moderate income families, any low- income unit bought under this program must be sold to another low-income buyer and any moderate unit bought under this program must be sold to a moderate-income buyer.

What are the income limitations on Affordable Housing in Lawrence Township?

Affordable Housing Regional Income Limits By Household Size

Do I have to meet any other qualifications?

If your gross annual household income meets the requirements for affordable housing, then you are qualified to participate in the Affordable Housing Program. However, this does not"guarantee that a unit will be available when you apply.

How and where do I apply?

The Lawrence Township Affordable Housing Department accepts applications for those interested in buying a re-sale unit. The re­sale homes are privately owned by individuals that have participated in the program at an earlier date and were able to purchase homes through this program. The availability of these units is dependent upon the rate of turnover. A waiting list is kept current of all qualified buyers. If you are interested in applying, You should fill out a preliminary Affordable Housing application. The link to the application can be found below.


How do I apply for a new home?

As new developments are constructed, applications are made available by the developer. Applications are only accepted for a limited amount of time. Where and when you can obtain an application will be advertised in the local newspaper or you can call the Affordable Housing Office for information. 

How will I be selected as the applicant to buy a home?

All candidates who appear to be eligible, based on information submitted, will be interviewed when units are available. Candidates deemed eligible at the interview will be permitted to visit any suitable available units. If a particular unit is chosen a contract of sale will be signed with the seller and the potential purchaser can then apply for a mortgage. 

Are there any fees or charges?

You will be required to place a 5% or 10% downpayment on the unit you buy. There will also be settlement or closing charges. 

Can I select any type of home and then apply for Affordable Housing?

No. In order to buy an Affordable Housing unit you must go through a developer that is building such units or through the Affordable Housing Office at Lawrence Township. 

What type of home is available through Affordable Housing?

At the present time, the only units available are Townhouses, Condominiums and Garden Apartments. The size of the unit will depend on your family size.

Families with one or two members are eligible for a one-bedroom unit, families with 3 members are eligible for a two-bedroom unit and families with four or five members are eligible for three-bedrooms

We have no units larger than a three bedroom. 

What if I buy a unit and want to sell it at a later date, are there any restrictions?

Yes. You must sell your unit to another eligible buyer of low or moderate-income.

The value of re-sale is regulated by the NJ Council on Affordable Housing.

When you are ready to sell, you must write to Piazza and Associates and explain your desire to sell, describe your unit including upgrades you might have added, the amount you paid, and whether you bought it as a low or moderate-income buyer. 

Can I rent my home to another person?

No. Strict guidelines govern the intentions to rent an Affordable Housing Unit and failure to comply with this can result in legal action being implemented. 

What type of monthly payments can I expect to pay?

Payments are calculated according to interest and principal, taxes, fire insurance and condominium fee. Exact payments depend upon the cost of the unit. 

How do I begin the process to apply for Affordable Housing?

You should fill out a preliminary Affordable Housing application. The link to the application can be found below.


Are there limits to rent increase?

Consumer Price Index with rent increase.

What is the Home Improvement Program?

The attached provides further details, including income limits, on the Lawrence Home Improvement Program. To receive an application for the Home Improvement Program contact:

Affordable Housing Administrators
PO Box 495
Pine Beach NJ 08741
attn: Maureen Fullaway

Animal Control
How do I obtain a dog/cat license?

The Township requires all dogs and cats 7 months or older to have a license.  Licenses are renewed annually. Dog licenses are renewed in January and cat licenses are renewed in September.  You can obtain a license at the Municipal Clerk’s Office.  Proof of current rabies certification and proof of spaying or neutering must be presented at the time the license is applied for.  The fee is $11.00 if spayed or neutered and $14.00 if not spayed or neutered.  A delinquent fee will be assessed in the amount of $5.00 plus $1.00 per month for each month the fee remains unpaid.   For any additional, please contact the Municipal Clerk’s Office at 609.844.7000. To download a cat application use this link.  To download a dog application use this link:

How do I have my dog or cat receive a free rabies vaccine?

Free rabies clinics are scheduled twice a year to coincide with each of the licensing periods for dogs and cats. Please adhere to the following guidelines to participate in the clinic:

  • All dogs must be securely leashed.

  • Muzzles are recommended if your dog is not used to being around other pets or people.

  • All pets must be under the close supervision of an adult at all times.

  • Cats must be in suitable carriers.

  • No children under the age of 7 years old may be present at the clinic.

  • Should you have any further questions, please contact our Animal Control Officer at 609.844.7092.

What should I do if I have any animal related emergencies after hours, weekends or holidays?

Please call the Lawrence Township Police Department at 609.896.1111. Examples of animal emergencies are as follows:

  • Domestic animal is struck by a car and is still alive.

  • Animal is sick or injured.

  • Stray animals that are attacking residents or causing a threat.

  • Wildlife in the living space of a residence.

What should I do if I have a wild animal (raccoon, skunk, bird, woodchuck, etc.) on my property that is orphaned, noticeably sick, injured or requiring some assistance?

Please call the Lawrence Township Animal Control Officer at 609.844.7092 between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. The Mercer County Wildlife Center open 365 days a year. can be reached by telephone at 609.303.0552.  The center is located at Route 29, Titusville, NJ. The link to its site is here:

What are the Lawrence Township ordinances relating to animals?

There are many Township ordinances pertaining to animals. Click the link below to see a summary of ordinances regarding licensing, running at large, noise, animal waste and feeding wildlife.

You can find those ordinances here.

What do I do if I have a lost or found pet?

If you have a lost or found pet, please contact the Animal Control Officer at 609.844.7092, during regular business hours (M - F, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm). After hours, weekends or holidays contact the Lawrence Township Police at 609.896-1111.

What do I do if I am involved in, or witness, a bite by domestic animal or wildlife?

If you are bitten by any animal.

Clean the wound with soap and water. Seek prompt medical attention from a physician or hospital emergency room. All animal bites (domestic and wildlife) must be reported to the Health Department. If the bite occurs during regular office hours (M - F, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm) please contact Animal Control at 609.844.7092. After hours, weekends or holidays, please contact the Lawrence Township Police at 609.896.1111.


If bitten by a dog, cat or any other domestic animal, be sure to obtain the owner's name, address, phone number and description of the animal. If an involved party is leaving without providing information, write down a vehicle description and license plate number or any other information that would be helpful in locating the individual, such as a description of the owner and pet. Do not attempt to detain anyone. Domestic animal bites require a 10 day quarantine of the biting animal for rabies observation. This will help the bitten person avoid post exposure prophylaxis.


If bitten by wildlife, it is critical to maintain sight of the animal until police or animal control arrive and capture the animal. If the animal cannot be tested for rabies, the bitten individual will require post exposure prophylaxis.

Code Enforcement / Construction Department
Why do I need a permit?

For public safety. Having a review and inspections will confirm the safety and compliance of the project.

How do I know if I need a permit?

Please call our office at, 609.844.7056 and we can help you to determine when a permit is required.

How can I pay for my permit?

You can come to the Municipal Building.

Can the Township recommend a contractor for me?

 No, it would be a conflict of interest.

How can I check if my contractor is licensed?

Contact NJ Consumer Affairs

I have a code question and I am having trouble getting in touch with an inspector. What should I do?

 Please call our office at, 609.844.7056

When am I/are contractors allowed to do work?
Can I do my own work?

 A homeowner living in a one or two-family dwelling can do the work.

Can I prepare my own drawings? Do I need an architect?

 A homeowner living in a one or two-family dwelling can prepare drawings.

I have an underground oil tank on my property. What are my options to decommission the tank?

Remove it or have it filled by a licensed DEP company.

Find more information on the NJ Department of Environmental Protection website.

Do I need a permit to conduct a garage sale?
Emergency Management
What does local Emergency Management do?

The office provides a variety of services to the citizens of Lawrence Township. Pamphlets and information are available through the office to assist in planning for tornadoes, hurricanes, winter storms, fire safety, flood protection measures and preparing a Disaster Supplies Kit. The Lawrence Township Emergency Management Office has been tasked with the responsibility of planning for the protection of lives and property of the citizens of Lawrence Township. Planning consists of identifying potential man made and natural disasters that could affect our area.

What is Emergency Management?

Emergency Management is the combined efforts of local, state and federal governments to protect the citizens from the effects of disasters, both natural and man-made. The local Office of Emergency Management works to identify and analyze the hazards that may face Lawrence Township and develop contingency plans for each hazard. The plans are regularly tested, refined and tested again, all with the goal of protecting or saving lives and property.

How will I be notified if there is an emergency?

Nixle, which is a real-time notification program will deliver a recorded warning to the entire Township by telephone, e-mail or text.

You can register for Nixle by clicking here.

What happens when I call the 9-1-1 number?

All 9-1-1 calls made in Lawrence Township are answered at the Lawrence Township Police Department 9-1-1 Communications Center in the Police building. The Communications Center is staffed 24 hours a day, year round by trained professional telecommunicators. When a call is received, in addition to voice contact, the telecommunicator receives a computer data base file showing the listed address, name and phone number from the phone where the call is being placed. Because of the number of changes that occur in the phone company database or the possibility of an incorrect address, the telecommunicator will confirm all information before dispatching an emergency unit. You should as calmly as possible advise the telecommunicator exactly what type emergency it is and answer questions being asked. To assist emergency personnel in locating your residence during an emergency, your street address must be clearly displayed to be visible from both directions of travel. 

REMEMBER, 9-1-1 IS ONLY FOR EMERGENCIES. For non-emergencies, contact the Lawrence Township Police Department at 609-896-1111.

What actions should I take if told to evacuate my home?

In some situations, evacuation is the only protective action available to protect the public, if time permits. If you are advised to evacuate, first consider going to the homes of relatives or friends, or checking into a hotel or motel outside the danger area. If these locations are not feasible then you will need to go to a shelter site, but remember that there are limited shelter sites for pets to be brought in due to health, safety and space reasons. If going to a shelter you should contact your veterinarian for animal boarding or please visit:  Finding Animal Emergency Assistance
 If instructed to evacuate:

Stay calm – don’t panic.

Take only essential emergency supplies with you.

Do not go to pick up children at school. They will be taken care of at school or taken to a shelter outside the affected area. Listen to local radio or TV stations, they will have information on where to pick up your children and shelter locations.

Unless you are planning to stay with friends or family, leave your pets and farm animals at home. Be sure to put out plenty of water and food for your animals before you leave.

Turn off all lights and appliances (including the hot water heater) with the exception of the refrigerator and freezer.

Secure windows and doors and tie a white cloth or white towel to your front door as an indicator that you have evacuated (this will save emergency responders time when searching for victims or fatalities).

Follow the recommended routes, do not take shortcuts.

Notify a family contact person of your location.

Stay tuned to your local radio stations for updates.

Do not return home until advised to do so.

What should I do if told to “Shelter in Place”?

In certain situations when an emergency occurs so quickly that there is insufficient time to evacuate, or an evacuation would actually place more people in danger, it is necessary to “Shelter in Place”. If this should occur, immediately go inside your home or the nearest structure (if you are at work or away from you home), if you have a pet get it inside too, and do the following:

Secure all doors and windows (if tape is available, tape cracks for extra protection).

Shut off all air conditioners, window fans or other equipment with air intakes.

Cover food and put uncovered food in the refrigerator.

Move to a center room or central area of the structure (keep water and emergency supplies with you).

Keep your TV or radio on and turned onto the Emergency Broadcasting Station (or local stations).

Do not use the telephone except for an extreme emergency.

Do not leave your home (or the structure) until you are told it is safe to do so.

If you’re in an automobile, roll the windows up, close all vents, turn off the fan and leave the area immediately.

What type supplies should I keep on hand for emergency situations?

The Lawrence Township Emergency Management Office recommends that citizens keep enough supplies at home to meet family needs for at least 72 hours, since it may take that long before outside assistance is available from the state or federal government. Home disaster supply kits should be made up from sturdy and easy to carry containers such as backpacks, duffel bags or large trash containers in the event that you may have to evacuate and take your emergency supplies with you. These emergency supply kits should contain a number of things including the following:

Three day supply of water (1 gallon per person, per day)

A three-day supply of non-perishable, packaged or canned food.

One change of clothing for each member of the family.

Rain gear or coats depending on the time of year.

Blankets or sleeping bags for each member of the family.

A battery powered radio with extra batteries.

Two flashlights with batteries.

Emergency candles and matches.

Sanitation supplies (toilet paper, handy wipes, etc.).

A first aid kit and any prescription medications needed.

Extra pair of prescription glasses.

Special care items for infants, elderly or disabled family members (medications, formula etc..).

Small writing tablet with two or three pencils.

Manual can and bottle opener.

Pocketknife or multi-purpose type tool.

Recommend $50 to $100 money in cash, since electronic teller machines may not be working due to power outages.

Reading materials or games to help pass the time

What actions should I take in the event of a tornado?

A number of people have asked that question, since tornadoes are so unpredictable, even with state of the art Doppler radar and modern forecasting techniques. There are some precautions individuals can take. A good first step to take is to learn the difference between a Tornado Watch and Tornado Warning. A Tornado Watch means that weather conditions are favorable for tornadoes to develop. When a Tornado Watch is issued, you should start taking actions to protect yourself, your family and property. Some of the precautions include being alert of changes in the weather, keep your car and house keys with you, move lawn furniture and yard equipment inside if possible, make sure your Disaster Supply Kit is complete in the event you have to evacuate, go over your emergency plan with family members, be sure to keep your radio or television tuned to weather reports and if there are indications that a tornado may be approaching, take cover immediately, don’t wait for a warning to be issued.

A Tornado Warning means that a tornado has actually been sighted. There is only one thing you have time to do and that is to seek shelter immediately. If you are at home, go to your basement. If your home does not have a basement, go to a small room such as a bathroom or closet in the middle of the house. If you are in a mobile home or automobile, get out and find a safe shelter, or lie down in a low area with your hands covering the back of your head and neck. Be sure to stay away from outside walls and windows. If you are at work or school, go to the designated shelter areas and stay out of large open areas like auditoriums and gymnasiums. Remain in your shelter until the storm is over!

A list of recommended items needed for your Disaster Supply Kit can be found under “What type supplies should I keep on hand for emergency situations?”. If you would like additional “FREE” information on precautions to take for severe storms or tornadoes, just call the Lawrence Township Emergency Management Office at 609-844-7020 or 609-844-7116.

How do I find out what the road conditions are?

Listen to the local media, or for information on current road & travel conditions call:

511 or visit 511nj.org

DO NOT CALL 911 for road conditions – 911 is for EMERGENCIES ONLY.

Engineering, Planning and Zoning
Is my property in a flood zone?

The Engineering Department has the Flood Insurance Rate Maps on file. Flood Zone mapping is also available in pdf format on our website by clicking here.  You may also go to https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search and enter your address.

 Note that we base our determination on the property location, we do not provide information on whether your house is in a flood zone. If you need the information in writing, there is a $10 fee.

Is my property in a Wetland?

New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection mapping is available in pdf format on our website here.

Do I need a permit to replace my driveway?

No, as long as the driveway is not enlarged in any direction. If you plan to enlarge your driveway, please contact the Engineering Department regarding requirements. Minimum driveway setback is five feet (5').

Can I outlet my sump pump pipe into the street?

No, sump pump piping must connect to the underground storm sewer system or outlet on your property in a manner that does not impact your neighbors. It is prohibited to cut a hole through the curb for your pipe because it leads to hazardous icing conditions in the winter and mosquitos /stagnant water in the summer.  It is also not permitted to connect the pipe to the sanitary sewer system. Possible acceptable outlet options include drywells, pop-ups, and connection to the drainage system.

Is my property served by public water or public sewer?

Water and sewer service area mapping is available in pdf format on our website here

Sewer service for Lawrence Township is provided by the Ewing-Lawrence Sewerage Authority at 609-587-4061.  Generally, the water services areas are:

  • South of Route 95/295 - Trenton Water Works (609-989-3222)
  • North of Route 95/295 - Aqua Water (856-784-3322)
    (area between I-95, Federal City Rd, Keefe Rd and ½ mile north of Cold Soil Rd)
  • North of Keefe Road, over ½ mile north of Cold Soil Road, north of Meadow Road, mall areas - New Jersey American Water (800-652-6987)
  • Several properties within these areas may have individual wells.
  • Note that sewer service for Lawrence Township is provided by the Ewing-Lawrence Sewerage Authority at 609-587-4061.
Is approval required for tree removal?

For all tree removals, the Engineering Department must be notified and inspect the trees prior to removal.

Residential homeowners are permitted to remove 5 trees annually with sizes between 8 and 29 inches in diameter.

Larger trees are considered specimen trees and may not be removed without a permit and replacement.

Unauthorized removal may result in a replacement requirement or a contribution to the Shade Tree Account.

Do I need a permit to replace my sidewalk?

Permits are required to replace all improvements in the public right-of-way such as curb, driveway apron, and sidewalk. The permit fees are for repair and replacement: $15 per 100 linear feet and installation of new: $20 per 100 linear feet. The Township must inspect the forms and witness the concrete pour. Notification of the concrete pour must be one (1) day in advance.  The permit may be obtained at the Engineering Department.  A copy of the contractor’s license is required.  If you are doing the work as a homeowner, please note that air-entrained concrete is required and you can’t mix concrete in a wheelbarrow.  Note that a permit is not required to replace sidewalk on your private property, such as the sidewalk around your house.

I want to put up a shed, fence, deck, patio, pool or other improvement. Do I need any approval?

Yes, all accessory structures require zoning approval. You will need a copy of your property survey, showing the location of the proposed work. You may draw the proposed improvements or highlight a fence location on a copy of the survey.  It is not necessary to have an engineer or architect prepare the plan.  Certain setbacks must be met and vary from zone to zone. Sheds and fences do not require a building permit, just zoning approval. However, pools and decks do require zoning approval and a building permit. Contact the Engineering, Planning and Zoning Department for further details.

Are temporary signs permitted?

Temporary signs are only permitted as provided for in Section 535.K of the Land Use Ordinance.

Temporary signs are never permitted adjacent to the public roadway (within the right of way) and can only be placed on private property with the owner's permission.

Can I operate a business from my residence?

Single family residential property owners are permitted to have home occupations in their residences if the ordinance criteria are satisfied.

There is a limit on the number of employees (one non-resident), space allocated in the home (450 sf maximum), and there can be no change to the residential character of the property.

A form and fee are required.

How do I get additional information about my tax bill?

You can use THIS LINK to search for information about your taxes. 

Where can I find a copy of the Municipal Budget and Audit Report?

Use THIS LINK to access the documents that pertain to budget records.

Where can I get information about the assessed value of my property?

You can use THIS LINK to search for information about your property value. 

What is the Township's Tax ID Number?

Tax ID # is 21-6000791

Fire Marshal
Do I have to register my business?

Yes. All commercial businesses in the Township of Lawrence must register with the Fire Marshal’s Office. A registration packet can be found on our website that must be completed and submitted with the fee. The registration fee is required to be paid annually and is based on the square footage of the business.

When are registration invoices sent out?

All invoices for the year are mailed out in January and payments are due within thirty days. The invoices are not sent based on when you initially registered.

What forms of payment do you accept and how can I pay?

 Our office accepts exact cash, checks, money orders. Our office can only accept Visa & Mastercard credit cards in the office. We do not accept debit cards.

Can I make a payment on line or over the telephone?

No. At this time we are not accepting electronic payments or payments over the telephone.

Why do I need to register my business with the Fire Marshal’s Office.

All commercial businesses are required to register with our office under the NJ Uniform Fire Code. Once registered the business will be added to the inspection

Does my business have to be inspected and how often?

All businesses are required to be inspected annually. Depending on the type of business you own you may be required to have semi-annual inspections or quarterly inspections as well.

What are the most common fire code violations found during an inspection?

Some of the most common violations found are:

  • Exit signs and/or emergency lights that are not working
  • Fire extinguishers that require annual inspections
  • Carbon monoxide detectors not working or missing
  • Fire alarm test reports
  • Sprinkler system tests
  • Electrical violations such as open wiring or extension cords being used as permanent wiring
  • Space heaters
  • Blocked exits or stairways
  • Improperly stored combustible materials
  • Unsecured compressed gas cylinders
  • Accumulations of grease on commercial hood systems
  • Accumulations of dirt on ventilation fans
  • Storage too close to sprinkler heads and/or the ceiling
How can I prepare for my annual fire inspection?

Please do the following:

  • If applicable, please have copies of your annual fire alarm test reports and/or sprinkler reports available for the inspector.
  • Please make sure all of your exit signs and emergency lights are working. They should work when the power is on and also if the power is shut off they should continue working on battery back-up.
  • All fire extinguishers should be mounted and be inspected annually. The company performing the inspection will place a tag with the date of inspection on the extinguisher.
  • If you have a carbon monoxide detector in your business please make sure it is working. Change the battery or replace the detector if needed.
  • Make sure that all means of egress are accessible. They should not be locked or blocked.Keyed locks are not permitted. The door must be easy to open without a key.
  • Make sure all stairways are clear.
  • If you have a commercial kitchen, please make sure your hood systems have been properly cleaned. There should be no accumulations of dirt or grease.
  • Please check ventilation fans in the restrooms for accumulations of dirt and dust.
  • Storage must be kept a minimum of 18” below sprinkler head deflectors in a sprinklered area and 24” below the ceiling in a non-sprinklered area.
Does my alarm system need to be registered?

Yes. If you have an audible alarm system you are required to register your system with the Fire Marshal’s Office. You must complete the application and submit it with the one-time fee of $30.00. Once we receive your application a copy is sent to the police department.

Am I required to register my alarm system annually?

No. The registration is not an annual registration. The fee is only paid one time. If you have changes to any of your information we ask that you complete a new registration form and submit it to our office so that we will have the most updated information. You are not required to pay a fee for an update. 

Garbage and Recycling
When is my garbage picked up?

Please consult this chart: Garbage Collection Schedule

Do I need to schedule a bulk / white good pick up?

Please contact the Public Works Department for a special collection at 609.587.1894.

The township collects metal and white goods by appointment every Wednesday.

What if my garbage or recycling days falls on a holiday, when will it be picked it up?

When a holiday falls on Monday or Tuesday, collection normally scheduled for that weekday will be the Saturday before the holiday.

When a holiday falls on Wednesday, Thursday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day), or Friday, collection will be on the Saturday following the holiday.

When and how do I put out my recycling?

Mercer County Improvement Authority.

For a guide to recyclables, contact the MCIA at 609-278-8086.

Recycling is picked up every other Monday.

If Monday falls on a holiday, the pickup is the following Saturday.

If recycling is missed or additional yellow and green cans are needed, please call the Public Works Department at 609-587-1894.

This flyer contains details on what can and can't be recycled.

For information on the recycling schedule visit MCIA website.

How do I dispose of vegetative waste and yard debris?

Township Ordinance 2307-18 details the new collection guidelines. You may click here for a quick description of the regulations. Brush and yard waste is collected once a month according to the Zone Collection Map. You can also look up the zone for your property using online search tool.

How do I put out my leaves during Fall Leaf Collection?

Please consult this document for information about the leaf collection program.

How do I get rid of electronics?

Certain household electronic devices can be brought to the recycling center located at Public Works, 240 Bakers Basin Road.

They accept items from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. every Wednesday.

The following items are accepted:

  • Computers
  • Laptops
  • Monitors
  • Printers (desktop only)
  • Fax machines (desktop only)
  • TV's

Ink, Toner, and Paper must be removed.

Can I purchase an additional trash can and what is the cost?

Extra carts are available as follows:

  • 95 gal $55.00

  • 35 gal $45.00

Checks made payable to "Lawrence Township", Attn: Finance Department.

How do I dispose of batteries?

While single use batteries can be put in the trash, rechargeable batteries cannot and must be recycled. For more details including where to properly dispose of them see the attached.

Health Department and Family Services
Where can I drop off my unused prescriptions?

There is a medication drop box at the Lawrence Township Police Department located at 2211 Lawrence Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648. For more details see the attached.

What types of medication may I dispose of in the box?

For safety reasons, the Project Medicine Drop box can only accept solid medications such as pills, patches, inhalers, and similar objects.

The box cannot accept liquids, medical waste, or syringes. Residents wishing to dispose of these objects should speak with their doctors or pharmacists to find the safest and best ways to dispose of them.

It should also be noted that only legal prescriptions or over-the-counter medications may be disposed of. Anyone wishing to dispose of any illicit drug, should follow the normal procedure of reporting it to the police.

For more details see the attached

How do I safely dispose of syringes?

Individuals with syringes used in the home should follow these steps to safely dispose of your syringes in your municipal trash:

Your syringes must be placed in rigid containers that will protect people from needle sticks. Use containers such as empty laundry bottles with screw on caps. After putting syringes in the bottle, Seal the bottle tightly with the original lid and wrap duct tape over the lid after you fill the bottle with syringes. You may dispose of the tightly sealed container of syringes in your household garbage- NOT in your recycling bin.

Automatic epinephrine syringes, regardless of type, are disposed of in the same manner as all other syringes.

How do I request an appointment for the Child Health Clinic?

Lawrence Township Health Department provides CHC Services to Lawrence residents from birth to 18 years old who have NO health insurance. Clinics are held once a month. Please call 609-844-7094 to make an appointment with the public health nurse.

Hopewell Township residents may come to the Lawrence Township CHC after receiving clearance from the Hopewell Township Health Department. 609-737-0120.

Where and when can I get a flu shot?

The Lawrence Township Health Department will be host two drive through flu clinics. For more details see the attached flyer in English and Spanish.

Where can I get information about vaccinations needed for traveling abroad?

See your healthcare professional before you travel. The attached link also includes information regarding travelling abroad.

Find out about recommended vaccines recommendations and requirements for your travel destination at this website: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel.

Where can I find out about upcoming health screenings?

Please check the website for upcoming health screenings and education programs under the Health Department section.

Monthly screenings and special event flyers are posted.

How do I obtain a temporary food license?

a) To obtain a temporary food license, please complete the Retail Food License application form and contact

the health department to schedule an inspection. The guidelines for temporary establishments are listed here.

b) If you would like to sell something other than whole, uncut fresh fruits or vegetables, a food license is

required. Please complete the Retail Food License application form and contact the health department to

schedule an inspection. Retail Food Establishments in New Jersey are required to be in compliance with the

State Sanitary Code Chapter 24, (N.J.A.C. 8:24) “Sanitation in Retail Food Establishments and Food and Beverage

Vending Machines” 

c) Please complete the application form and return it to the Health Department with the applicable fee paid

by cash or check made to Township of Lawrence.

How to I obtain vaccination records?

Use this link to request the Release of Medical Information/immunization.

How do I get a marriage, remarriage or civil union license?

A license for marriage or civil union can be obtained from the Department of Vital Statistics.

For additional information contact the Lawrence Township Department of Vital Statistics at 609-844-7093. 

Appointments are strongly recommended. 

Health Department-Consumer Health
How do I apply for a food license?

 Please complete the Application Form and return it to the Health Department with the applicable fee paid by cash or check made to Township of Lawrence

I would like to sell something at the farmers market, what do I need to do?

Retail Food License Application form and contact the health department to schedule an inspection.  Retail Food Establishments in New Jersey are required to be in compliance with the State Sanitary Code Chapter 24, (N.J.A.C. 8:24) “Sanitation in Retail Food Establishments and Food and Beverage Vending Machines.”

" autocomplete="off" style="" >

What is the process and requirements for obtaining a temp food license

To obtain a temporary food license, please complete the Retail Food License Application form and contact the health department to schedule an inspection. 

Please review the guidelines for temporary establishments.

Health Department-Environmental Health
Does the Township sell radon kits?

Radon kits are available for sale at the Health Department for measuring the level of radon in your home.

Free literature is available at the Health Department regarding radon testing and remediation.

How do I obtain a copy of my septic system plan?

This guide explains what homeowners should know about Septic Systems.

Use this form to request a copy of your septic plan.

" autocomplete="off" style="" >

Where can I get my well water tested?

To learn all about water testing, please review this information from the NJ Department of Health website.

You can view a list of certified testing agencies here.

How can I get information or report seeing Lanternfly?

The area continues to be infested by the invasive lanternfly which continues to damage plants and trees in the area. Use this checklist to avoid transporting the lanternfly from one location to another further spreading the infestation.The attached are FAQ which may prove helpful information. For more information, including how to report them, see the attached.

Who is my water service provider?

Please check this map for information concerning which utility provides water service in your area.

My real estate agent (or attorney) says I need a Certificate of Occupany (CO) In order to sell my home but I was Issued a Certificate of Inspection.

The Division of Housing issues a Certificate of Inspection for the resale or rental of a property.

A Certificate of Occupancy is Issued by the Construction Official when a structure is first constructed or a reconstruction or major renovation is done.

If I am selling my home/condo do I need to get a Certificate of Inspection?
What is the process to obtain a Certificate of Inspection for the sale of my home?

The application can be picked up in our office or downloaded here. You must complete the application and submit it with the fee of $80.00 to our office. The owner or their agent must contact our office to schedule the inspection,

How long is a Certificate of Inspection for a sale valid for?

A Certificate of Inspection expires one year from the original inspection date.

Who is responsible for obtaining a Certificate of Inspection?

The seller is responsible for obtaining the Certificate of Inspection.

However, there are times when the buyer may be responsible for obtaining the Certificate of Inspection such as an "as is" sale or bank-owned property or foreclosure.

If you are the buyer you should check with your agent or attorney to verify who is responsible for obtaining the certificate.

If I am renting my home/condo do I need to get an inspection?

Yes, an inspection is required each time the tenant changes.

This inspection must be performed before a new tenant can move in.

If any life safety violations are found, then a tenant cannot move in until the violations are corrected and reinspected.

How long is a Certificate of Inspection for a rental property valid for?

The Certificate of Inspection is valid for as long as the current tenant remains at the property.

Once the tenant changes, a new Certificate of Inspection will be required.

Is there a fee for a re-inspection?

No, there is no fee for a re-inspection.

Is a separate smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector certificate required?

No, a separate certificate is not required.

The smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers are inspected during the housing inspection and included as part of the Certificate of Inspection

I am purchasing a foreclosure. Do I need to obtain a Certificate of Inspection?
How long does It take to schedule an inspection?

Generally, we can schedule an inspection within two weeks.

However, there are times when it can take longer depending on how many inspections are being requested, holidays, and vacation schedules.

The seller and his or her agents are advised to allow an adequate amount of time prior to closing to schedule an inspection.

Can I schedule an inspection before submitting the application and fee?

No. The fee and application must be received by our office before we will schedule an inspection. No exceptions.

Can I pay extra to expedite an appointment?
Does someone need to be present for the inspection?
My landlord raised my rent. Does Lawrence Township have a rent control ordinance?

No. The State of New Jersey does not have any laws that establish, govern, or control rent.

Lawrence Township does have a Rent Control Ordinance.  For more information, the link to this ordinance is here: If you have any other questions, please contact the Municipal Manager

What are my rights as a Tenant?

Use this link for information and resources to access your rights as a tenant.

What is the process to obtain a Certificate of Inspection for a rental property?

There is an application which can be picked up In our office or downloaded from our website here.

You must complete the application and submit it with the fee of $75.00.

The owner must contact our office to schedule the inspection.

Can I fax or e-mail my application and pay over the phone?

No. The application and fee must be submitted either in-person or by regular mail with the payment.

We do not accept emailed or faxed applications or electronic payments.

What forms of payment do you accept?

Our office accepts checks, exact cash, money orders or we can accept Visa or Mastercard (credit only, no debit) in the office.

We do not accept electronic payments or payments over the phone.

When will my Certificate of Inspection be ready?

Certificates of Inspection are usually typed the following business day after the Inspection.

We can mall the certificate (via regular mail) or you may pick it up in our office after 10:00 a.m.

We do not email or fax the certificates.

Can a buyer assume violations on a Certificate of Inspection?

Yes, a buyer can assume most violations.

The buyer must write us a letter stating which violations they are assuming and indicate the date when the violations will be corrected.

If any of the violations that are being assumed are life safety violations, the property cannot be occupied until the life safety violations are corrected and reinspected.

If there is a failed septic system on the property or outstanding permits these must be addressed by the current owner prior to closing.

How long does an inspection take?

The amount of time an inspection will take varies depending on the size or condition of a property.

We allot approximately 60-90 minutes for a single/two-family dwelling and approximately 30 minutes for a condo/townhouse or rental inspection.

What are the days/hours for an inspection?

Our office is open 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

We usually schedule inspections between 9:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.

Inspections are not scheduled between 12:00 and 1:00 p.m.

All Inspections are scheduled for a specific time and the inspector makes every effort to be there on time.

However, due to unforeseen circumstances such as traffic, weather, or inspections taking longer than expected the inspector may arrive late.

What does the inspector look for during the inspection?

Our inspection is a general safety inspection. Download this Pre-Inspection Checklist for more details.

It lists the most commonly inspected items.

Please be advised that this is only a general guideline and the inspector may note violations not listed on the pre-inspection checklist.

Municipal Clerk
How do I file a request for public records (OPRA)?

Complete and submit THIS FORM.

Where do I vote?

Please consult THIS MAP for information on voting districts and locations.

How do I register to vote?

Please refer to the Mercer County Voter Registration page.

How can I get information on early voting?

To participate in the Tuesday, June 4 primary election you must be registered by May 14, 2024. Attached are details from the Board of Elections about voting early.

How do I obtain a Raffle License?

Apply for a permit to conduct a Raffle or Bingo game HERE.

How can I apply for a passport?

See details on the Clerk's Passport Information page.

Does the Township provide Notary Services?

You may contact the Mercer County Connection website or the Mercer County Library Lawrenceville Branch for notary information.

How do I register/renew my dog/cat license?

Applications are available on this website HERE.

Where can my child get working papers?

Call the Lawrence Township Board of Education at 609-671-5500.

Who are my Local, County, State, and Federal representatives?

Click here to view our Local Officials

Click here to view our Mercer County Officials.

Click here to view our New Jersey State Officials.

Click here to view our Federal Representatives

How do I register a residential residence?

Use this link for information and an application for registering a residential rental.

How do I get to the municipal building?

The municipal complex is located at 2207 Lawrenceville Road (also known as Route 206), just south of Route 95 and just north of Rider University. (See Directions Page)

Municipal Court
Can I represent myself in court?

You have the right to represent yourself in Municipal Court matters; however we cannot give you legal advice. Only your lawyer may provide you with legal information.

Please read this information: Your Day In Court Form

How do I know if my ticket has points as a result?

The court does not issue points. That is a function of the Motor Vehicle Commission.

Please click here for MVC information: NJMVC Suspensions and Restorations

How do I pay my ticket?

If you were issued a summons for a payable ticket, you may pay online at NJ Courts Ticket Search, mail in a check or money order, or appear at the Violations Bureau during normal business hours, which are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 3:30 pm excluding holidays.

How do I file a Municipal Court appeal?

Municipal appeals must be filed within 20 days of your conviction.

You may ask the court staff for an appeal packet or download it here. NJ Courts Appeals Packet

I don’t think I should have to pay my ticket. Can I bring my documentation to the Violations Bureau window?

No all contested matters must be heard in open court on the record

Should I hire a lawyer?

Sentences in municipal court may include jail time, probation, community service, loss of driver’s license, restitution and fines in addition to other penalties. A conviction of a disorderly persons or petty disorderly person’s offense would also result in a criminal record. Therefore, persons appearing in Municipal Court may wish to be represented by an attorney. If you do not know an attorney, you may contact the Mercer County Bar Association at (609) 585-6200.

How do I apply for representation by the Public Defender?

For the Judge to consider whether or not you qualify for representation by the Public Defender, you must fill out an application and provide financial information to the Court so the Judge may determine your eligibility. An application fee of up to $200.00 in the Judge’s discretion may be imposed if the application is granted.

Click here to download the  Municipal Courts Financial Questionnaire

The “court appearance required box” is not checked on my ticket but there is a court date. Am I required to appear?

Generally, the court date for payable uncontested violations is the payment due date.

What forms of payment do you accept at the Violations Bureau?

Cash, check, money order, VISA and MasterCard that are not connected to a debit card.

In what order are cases usually called?
  • Requests for adjournments

  • Uncontested motions

  • First arraignments

  • Guilty pleas

  • Contested motions

  • Pleas of not guilty (with attorney)

  • Pleas of not guilty (without attorney)

How to I obtain an interpreter for my court date?

If you need the services of an interpreter, please notify the court two weeks prior to your court appearance. When the court has scheduled a matter requiring an interpreter, parties are required to notify the court two days prior to the court date, if the matter settles or is otherwise to be postponed so that the court does not incur unnecessary interpreter fees. A party that fails to notify the court may be assessed the cost of the interpreter.

What does the Mediation Program entail?

Please read the details here: Municipal Court Mediation

Where can I find a list of Lawrence Township Municipal Ordinances?

Recent Ordinances

How do I file a complaint in Municipal Court?

Download the Complaint Information Form here: Complaint Information Form

What Is An Expungement?
  • Expungement means the extraction and isolation of all records on file within any court of an offense within the criminal justice system.  New Jersey law provides a limited right to expungement.  The purpose of the law is to give a person who has either one or very few convictions a fresh start.  The law also provides for the removal of records of arrests where the arrest did not end in a conviction.  The expungement law states in detail who is eligible for an expungement.  You should review N.J.S.A. 2C:52-1 et seq. to determine if you are eligible.  An eligible person must prepare and file a Petition of Expungement.  A Petition of Expungement must be filed in the Superior Court in the county where the arrest or prosecution took place.  A judge then decides whether the person should be granted an Expungement Order, which means that with some exception, the criminal proceedings never happened.

    • Any person convicted of an indictable offense under the laws of this State and who has not been convicted of any prior or subsequent crime, whether within this State or any other jurisdiction, and has not been adjudged a disorderly person or petty disorderly person on more than two occasions may, after the expiration of a period of 10 years from the date of his conviction, payment of fine, satisfactory completion of probation or parole, or release from incarceration, whichever is later, file a Petition for Expungement.  Please refer to 2C:52-2 for more details.

    • Any person convicted of a disorderly persons or petty disorderly persons offense under the laws of this State who has not been convicted of any prior or subsequent crime, whether within this State or any other jurisdiction, or of another three disorderly persons or petty disorderly persons offenses, may, after the expiration of a period of 5 years from the date of the conviction, payment of fine, satisfactory completion of probation or release from incarceration, whichever is later, file a Petition for Expungement.  Any person that has been found guilty of violating a municipal ordinance of any governmental entity of this State and who has not been convicted of any prior or subsequent crime, whether within this State of any other jurisdiction and who has not been adjudged a disorderly person or petty disorderly person on more than two occasions, may, after the expiration of a period of 2 years from the date of conviction, payment of fine, satisfactory completion of probation or release from incarceration whichever is later, file a Petition for Expungement.  Any person that has been arrested or held to answer for a crime, disorderly persons offense, petty disorderly persons offense or municipal ordinance violation under the laws of this State or of any governmental entity thereof and against whom proceedings were dismissed, or acquitted or was discharged without a conviction or finding of guilt, may at the time following the disposition of proceedings, file a Petition for Expungement.
What is an Expedited Expungement?

If you are charged with a disorderly persons offense, petty disorderly persons offense, or a municipal ordinance violations, and those charges are either dismissed, you are acquitted, or your case is discharged without a conviction or finding of guilt, you may be eligible for an expedited expungement pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:52-6. For more information and to determine if you are eligible, you may inquire with the municipal court at the time of disposition.

How do I apply for an Expungement of my records?

Please review the information here: Instructions For Expungements

What is the Veterans Assistance Project?

The Veterans Assistance Project is a voluntary referral service.  Its purpose is to refer veterans who come in contact with the court system and who may be in need of veteran’s services to their Veterans Service Office.  Services that may be available can include mental health counseling, addiction services, legal services and housing.  The Veterans Assistance Project strives to get services and support for veterans to improve the quality of life for the men, women and families who have made sacrifices in the defense of the United States. 

For additional information please contact Lawrence Township Municipal Court or read online at:  Veterans Assistance Project

What happens when the court’s orders are not obeyed?

People who do not:

1) Come to court when summoned or subpoenaed

2) Make payments as required 

3) Comply with other requirements of their sentences 

Face additional punishments including fines, driver’s license suspensions, arrest and jail.

The “court appearance box” is not checked on my ticket but I was unable to pay online. The message stated “this ticket is not eligible for payment.” How do I resolve this matter?

You must call the court prior to the court date on the summons for further instructions. The most common reason is that the officer failed to check the box for a mandatory court appearance violation. The date on your summons is the day you must appear in court.

Office on Aging Senior Center
Where is the Lawrence Township Senior Center Located? What are the hours of operation for the Center?

The senior center is located at 30 East Darrah Lane. The center can be accessed via route one near the County library and the CVS, or Princeton Pike.The Senior Center is open weekdays from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. occasionally; we may offer evening programs or socials. The senior center is generally not open on weekends, or evenings. Occasionally we offer evening socials, and programs such as art shows, or flea markets, during the weekend.

Is there a cost to sign up at the senior center?

There is no cost to sign up to become a member of the senior center. All residents 60 years and older qualify for membership. Proof of residency is required. Some activities or programs require a minimal fee.

How do we learn about the programs or services you offer?

The senior center puts out a monthly schedule of activities. Program flyers are posted and distributed and posted on the web site. Feel free to visit us or call the senior center for program updates. Visit the Office using this link on Aging for more details regarding programs and activities.

How do we sign up for activities at the senior center?

You can sign up for an activity or program by calling or visiting the senior center – you must register with the senior center to participate in a programs and Township residence receive priority.

How can I arrange for a ride with the senior center van?

Transportation to and from the senior center is available to senior center members for activities and programs by calling our office at 609-844-7048. Appointments for routine doctor visits, food shopping, recreational activities must be arranged in advance.

Can non-residents participate in activities at the senior center?

Non-residents may participate with if space is available. If there is a fee for an activity or program non-resident must pay double the fee.

How do we know if a class is cancelled at the senior center?

Information will be posted on the website or at the senior center. Whenever possible you will receive a call to advise you of cancellations. 

How do I sign up for lunch?

The Mercer County Office on Aging offers a senior meal program. Lunch is generally served by 11:30 am. You must be registered in advance to receive a lunch on that day through Nutrition by visiting the senior center during business hours or calling 609-989-6650. 

What are the clubs? And how do you join?

The senior center clubs are independent senior groups that meet on Tuesdays at the Senior Center. They are registered with the State as non- profit organizations. They provide activities, bus trips and social activities for their members. There is a cost of $5.00 to join the clubs.

How do I join a group at the senior center?

We urge you to visit the senior center to register, let us know what your interest are and we will help you to join a group of interest.

Is the senior center rented out for activities?


Is the senior center on social media?

You can find periodic posting of senior program and activities on the Township twitter account and the Township website.  Our programs are also highlighted on the recreation face book page.

Can adult children contact your office for information for their aging parents?

Yes. We are very willing to speak with adult children that may have a need for services or information for their aging parents. Confidentiality is maintained to protect our senior members.

How does the senior center differ from adult day care?

The senior center is meant for active seniors that can function independently and without assistance. Adult day care programs are for seniors that require 24 hour supervision, nursing services and support while family members are at work or occupied.

How safe is the personal information I give to staff during registration?

All personal information is held in strictest confidence.  We usually input the information in our computer files and will never disclose any personal information to anyone without a senior’s permission.

Do you offer assistance in selecting Medicare supplementary insurance during open enrollment?

A SHIP volunteer is available to provide seniors with assistance with their Medicare insurance options.  Contact our office and we will take your name and number to schedule a return call from the SHIP volunteer.

How can I volunteer at the senior center?

You may volunteer at the senior center to offer a class or program, or assist in the office, serve for nutrition, work with the clubs, or with the busy bee program- teaching students to knit or crochet by contacting the senior center.

Is there an identification card that needs to be shown to participate at the senior center?

The senior center is upgrading its data tracking system which may include the need to scan a senior’s identification card.

Parks and Facilities
Where are the Parks located?

Parks and Facilities map

Where is the pool located?

The pool is located at Lawrence High School (2525 Princeton Pike, Lawrence, NJ). On weekdays you must enter through the main entrance and on weekends you may enter through the glass doors on the left side of the parking lot.

How do I reserve a park pavilion?

There are two small pavilions available at Village Park, accessible from Bergen Street and Yeger Street. Additionally, there is a pavilion available at Veterans Park. To reserve a pavilion, you are required to complete a Park Pavilion Rental Permit. The rental fee is $45 for Lawrence Township residents for a three-hour time slot. Alongside the rental fee, a $250 deposit check or cash must be provided. The maximum capacity for Village Park is 25 people, and 35 people at Veterans Park. Renters must adhere to all rental agreements and park rules, including the obligation to remove all event trash from the premises.

Can I fly drones in the parks?

No, drones are prohibited in Township parks.

Are the parks a smoke and alcohol free environment?

Yes, all Township parks prohibit smoking and alcohol use.

When are the parks opened and closed?

Parks are opened daily to the public from 7 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. except in attendance at an organized activity approved by the township.

Where are Tennis Courts located?

The tennis courts at the various park in the Township are available for use on a first come basis. Tennis shoes or sneakers only. Tennis courts are located in Central Park, Colonial Lake ParkVeterans Park and Village Park..

What should I do with trash?

Be sure to use the designated trash areas and sort recyclables in the proper containers. If you are renting a pavilion all trash must be removed from the park and pavilion area.

What are the hours of the pool?

Public pool hours vary from week to week. Please check the Recreation Department website for an updated weekly pool schedule.

Police Department General FAQs
What are the phone numbers for the Lawrence Township Police?

For all emergencies, please dial 9-1-1.

For all non-emergency communications, please call 609.896.1111

Can I park my car on the street overnight?

Only on streets that are not marked by signs indicating "No Overnight Parking", or that have parking time restrictions indicated on street signs.

There is no parking of any vehicles on streets overnight when a snow storm is predicted which will have accumulations that would require the use of snow plows.

How do I dispose of old medication?

Lawrence Twp. Police Department participates in Project Medicine Drop.  Each Project Medicine Drop Box is installed indoors, affixed to the floor or wall in a secure area within police department headquarters, within view of law enforcement officers in an area to which members of the public may be admitted to dispose of their unused medications.  Lawrence Twp. Police Department's Project Medicine Drop Box is located within the lobby of the police department and accessible 24hrs a day.

  • Please do not discard any loose pills or leaking liquid containers within the box
  • Please do not discard any hypodermic needles or sharps within the box
  • Project Medicine Drop is to be used by the residents of Lawrence Township or surrounding towns to discard any unused or outdated medication. 
  •  Project Medicine Drop is not to be used by any doctors, hospitals, laboratories or nursing homes to discard large quantities of medication!
  • Get more information here: MedicineDropOff
How do I get my vehicle out of impound?

If your vehicle was towed or impounded as a result of a motor vehicle or criminal violation, you were provided with an Impounded Vehicle Notice Form.  Please review your copy of the form and contact the Lawrence Twp. Police Department Towing Division at 609-844-7130.

How do I apply for a temporary Handicap Placard?

In order to get a handicapped placard, you must fill out an APPLICATION FOR TEMPORARY PLACARD and return it to the Records Bureau window of the police department.  Payment must be made via check or money order made payable to NJ MVC

How do I get fingerprinted for employment, volunteering, or door-to-door soliciting?

$5.00 per person.  Applicant fingerprints for residents and persons employed in Lawrence Township are taken Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.  THIS PROGRAM IS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED DUE TO COVID-19.

How do I get in touch with a particular officer?

In order to get a hold of a particular police officer, call the non-emergency dispatch number at 609-896-1111 and request to speak with them.  If they are not available, you will be given their voicemail box and they will return your call as soon as possible.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
  1. How to obtain a report:
  • In person at the Records Bureau (8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday)
  • By email (there is no fee for this method) - You may send an email to records@lawrencetwp.com with the following information:
    • Name and address of Applicant
    • Telephone number and email address
    • Date and time of incident
    • Location of incident
    • Report type and report number (if known)
How do I obtain a Firearms Purchaser ID card or Permit to Purchase a Handgun?

**There is a new procedure to apply for a Firearms ID card and Permit to Purchase.  

Applications are now to be completed online at:


  • Go to the website and click "Online S.T.S 033 Form" to begin the application process
  • Lawrence Township ORI number is:  NJ0110700
How do I hand over a firearm or ammunition for destruction?

Please bring the firearm and/or ammunition to the dispatch window of the police department and ask to speak with an officer.  

How do I obtain a copy of a motor vehicle crash report?

The easiest way to receive a copy of a crash report is by going to https://policereports.lexisnexis.com/. You will need to enter your crash report number followed by "-AC"

How do I pay a traffic ticket?

The easiest way to pay a traffic ticket is by going to Ticket Payment

How do I hire police officers for off duty work?

In order to hire a police officer for special duty assignments, you must call JOBS4BLUE at 877-425-8330.

How do I get a Gathering Permit?

Gathering permits are obtained through the township clerks office.  They can be reached at 609-844-7001

I'm struggling with an addiction problem. How do I get help?

The police department participates in a program called CARE (Community Addiction Recovery Effort).  If you are dealing with an addiction problem, you can come to the police department and ask to speak with an officer.  They will put you in touch with a CARE counselor who will offer assistance.

How do I become a school crossing guard?

Please call the Traffic Safety Officer at 609-844-7123 for additional information.

How do I register for Nixle to receive notification of road closings and other emergencies?

Nixle a real-time notification program will deliver a recorded warning to the entire Township by telephone, e-mail or text. You can register for Nixle by clicking here

Police Department- Online Police Reports
What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me?

If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If non-emergency call 609-896-1111.

What if this happened in another city can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system?

No, If a crime took place outside of the of Lawrence Township Police Department jurisdiction please call the police department in the city where the incident occurred.

What if this happened on a state Freeway?

If this took place on a state Freeway please call the New Jersey State Police barracks nearest you. 1-800-962-1253

What is a known suspect?

A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime or the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in.

Public Works
How many trash carts can I have?

Each household has a limit of no more than 200 gallons of cart capacity.  

A 95-gallon trash cart has been issued to each household at no cost. The carts are Township property and have been assigned by address using a serial number which is hot stamped on each cart.

If you would prefer a smaller trashcan, you may exchange your 95-gallon for a 35-gallon cart.  Please contact the Department of Public Works at 609-587-1894 to arrange for the exchange.  

Can I purchase an additional trash cart and what is the cost?

If you determine that you need more capacity, an additional cart may be leased for a one-time fee based on cart size.  

95 gallon trash cart = $55.00       35 gallon trash cart = $45.00

Payment method:  Checks made payable to Township of Lawrence

Call Public Works if you have additional questions. 609.587.1894

What if my garbage or recycling day falls on a holiday, when will it be picked it up?

When a holiday falls on Monday or Tuesday, collection normally scheduled for that weekday will be the Saturday before the holiday.

When a holiday falls on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, collection will be on the Saturday following the holiday.

Can I place my recyclables in plastic bags?

No, please place all recyclables loose in your yellow recycling cans.

The plastic bags slow down the sorting process and damages equipment.

How can I dispose of paint and other hazardous waste?

Mercer County Improvement Authority offers three drop-off events every year.

Please check this flyer for dates and times.

Does the Township recycle tires?

Yes.  Township residents may drop off used vehicle tires at the Department of Public Works, Monday thru Friday, 7:30am - 3:00pm.  Rims must be removed.  

How many piles of brush can I place at the curb?

One pile. Your pile size can be 12' long, 3' high and 4' from the edge of the curb.

Please do not obstruct any pedestrian or vehicular traffic.  

Any pile exceeding 12’ in length will not be collected.

When can I place my brush at the curb for collection?

Brush will be collected according to your zone schedule.  

Do not place brush at the curb until the weekend before your zone collection week.  

Check here for your zone collection dates or call the Public Works Department at (609) 587-1894.

What size tree branches can be put out for collection?

Tree limbs shall be cut in lengths of 3-feet (3') or less and the diameter shall not exceed 6-inches (6").   Tree trunks and limbs in excess of these measurements, will not be collected.  

No tree stumps allowed.  Tree stumps will not be collected.  

Can I place grass out with my yard waste?

No, grass shall be bagged and placed in your cart for trash collection.

Cut it and leave it - Lawn care experts say the best way to handle grass clippings is to leave them on your lawn.

Grass clippings provide a natural and healthy fertilizer.

Where is the Ecology Facility located?

The Ecological Center is located at:  3701 Princeton Pike (just south of Fackler Road)

The facility is open Monday thru Saturday, 7:30am - 2:30pm.  Closed on Saturdays for the months of December thru March.

Landscapers and commercial vehicles are prohibited.  

When will my street be plowed?

Please consult this document for information on snow removal.

How do I get a pothole repaired?

Report A Problem form to report potholes and other road repair issues

What do I do if a street sign is down or has graffiti on it?

Report A Problem form to report any problems with municipal signage in Lawrence Township.

What if the catch basin at the curb line has debris or is in need of repair?

Pleas use our online Report A Problem form to report any problems with the storm drain catch basins in Lawrence Township.

Can my landscaper place yard waste at the curb or bring it to the Township’s Ecological Facility during the week when he is servicing my property?

Your landscaper must be registered with the Township and follow the same rules for disposal when working for the homeowner.  

Landscapers can only place yard waste at the curb for collection the Saturday or Sunday before the proper zone collection.  

Landscapers and commercial vehicles are prohibited from the Ecological Center.

How Do I Report A Problem

To report a problem to Public Works, ie. pothole missed trash collection, etc. Use this form.

Can my Landscaper dispose of yard waste at the Township's Ecological Center?

Landscapers and commercial vehicles are prohibited. Your landscaper must be registered and follow the same rules for disposal.

What should I do if my blue trash cart is broken?

Broken carts must be reported to the  Public Works Department at 609.587.1894 

Carts will be repaired or replaced. 

Can my landscaper place yard waste at the curb during the week when he is servicing my property?

Landscapers shall be registered with Lawrence Township. This will allow them to understand the rules and regulations.  Landscapers must follow all the same rules for collection when working for the homeowner.  Landscapers can only place yard waste at the curb for collection the Saturday or Sunday before the proper zone collection. 

What types of programs do you offer?

Recreation classes, special events, summer day camp, youth basketball, youth track clinic, swim lessons, swim team, open swim, youth wrestling and much more. Additional information about each specific program is listed on the Recreation Department web page.

Where are you located?

The Recreation Department office is located in Town Hall at 2207 Lawrence Road, Lawrence Township, N.J.

How do I register for a program?

Registration is available 24/7 with our online registration system, Community Pass. Click \"Register\" to be redirected to Community Pass.

Phone: Call in to the Recreation Department at (609) 844-7065 in order to register over the phone.

In Person: Feel free to stop in to the Recreation Department and register in person.  We are located in the Lawrence Township Municipal Building (2207 Lawrence Road, Lawrence, NJ).

" autocomplete="off" style="" >

What methods of payment do you take?

Accepted methods of payment include cash, check or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).

What is your refund/cancelation policy?

Refunds for the registration fee will be assessed a 25% administrative fee for withdrawing prior to the start of a program. No refunds or credits will be issued after the program has started.

I am on a waiting list for a Recreation program. How does the waiting list work?

If you are signed up for a program and have been put on a waiting list, you will receive a phone call or email once a spot has opened up. Phone calls and emails will be sent out in the order they are received.

What if I would like to teach or run a program?

We are always looking for new programs to offer to the community. If you have any interest or special talents and you would like to offer a program through us please contact us the Recreation Department at 609-844-7065. Many of our programs rely on volunteerism to help make them successful. We appreciate all of our volunteers and are always looking for more.

How do you decide what programs and activities to offer?

Suggestions for programs often come from the public, Town Council, and Recreation Advisory Committee. The expertise and experience of Department staff is also utilized to develop program ideas.  There are many factors that determine what programs and activities are ultimately offered.   The availability of facilities, funding and availability of qualified instructors or leaders must be taken into consideration.

Can missed classes be made up (can I just show up at another scheduled class)?

Only if the Recreation Department cancels a class, will there be a make-up. If a participant misses a class, there is no make-up. Participants can only attend their designated class time.

What are the Recreation Department office hours?

The Recreation Department is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

I am not a resident of Lawrence Township, can I still participate in your programs?

Yes you may participate in programs, but all fees are doubled for non-residents.

Where can I find information about other Youth Sport Organizations in Lawrence?

Lawrence Hamnett Soccer Association
A volunteer organization providing recreational and competitive soccer opportunities for boys and girls 5 to 17 years old living in Lawrence Township.

Lawrence Lacrosse Club
A volunteer organization that organizes and coordinates recreational and competitive lacrosse for boys and girls between Pre-K to 8th grade.

Lawrence Township Junior Baseball/Softball Association
A volunteer organization that organizes and coordinates baseball and softball leagues for boys and girls between 8 and 18 years of age.

Lawrence Junior Cardinal Football Club
A volunteer organization that provides a competitive contact football program in Lawrence Township.

Tax Assessor
What will happen to my assessment if I improve my property?

Most improvements to the physical structure of a property will result in an assessment increase. Please contact the assessor’s office at (609) 844-7041 for more information

I aggree with the land assessment but I disagree with the building assessment. Can I appeal one and not the other?

You can only appeal the net assessed value, you cannot appeal the individual components separately (land/improvements)

I'm appealing my assessment and want to establish my case by using comparable assessments. Is this acceptable?

You cannot use comparable assessments. You must establish the market value of your property as of October 1st of the prior year

What is the deadline to file an assessment appeal?

The appeal filing deadline is April 1st each year

How can I claim senior citizen and/or veteran property tax deduction?

Please contact the assessor’s office by calling (609) 844-7041 and we will provide you with the applicable forms and requirements

How can I have my name redacted as per Daniel's Law?

Individuals qualified for redaction per Daniel's Law must register at register

Tax Collector
Tax Bills

Tax bills are mailed once a year during the summer. The bill you receive has third and fourth quarters of the current year, and the first and second quarters of the following year. Due dates for each quarter are printed on the bill, February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1. There is a 10 grace period and payments must be received in the Tax Collector’s office by the close of business day on the 10th in order to avoid interest charges unless the grace period is extended by a Resolution adopted by Council in accordance with New Jersey State Law. If the 10th falls on a weekend or a holiday, payment is accepted on the next business day without penalty. Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt a property owner from interest on delinquent taxes. (NJSA 54:5-64) If the owner of a property receives an “Advice Only” copy of the Tax Bill and does not have a 3rd party escrowing tax payments then they are responsible for the payments listed on the bill to be paid when due and should notify the Tax Collector’s office immediately. The State of New Jersey does not permit postmark.

Receipts – The entire bill and a self-addressed stamped envelope must accompany remittances requiring receipt. Otherwise, it is acceptable to detach the appropriate stub to mail along with your check, and the canceled check will serve as your receipt. The same process is required for receipts in person.

Interest – Interest of 8% per annum will be charged on amount up to 1500.00 and 18% per annum on amount over 1500.00 until the amount is made current. A penalty of 6% may be charged on any delinquency in excess of 10,000 if not paid by the end of the year (December 31).

Deductions - Please contact the Tax Assessor for information regarding Veteran or Widow of a Veteran deductions and for Senior, Disabled or Surviving Spouse

Homestead Rebate - to ask questions 1-800-238-1233

Property Tax Reimbursement or PTR / Senior Freeze – to ask questions 1-800-882-6597


Currently the Tax Collector’s office accepts cash, check or money order for payment. Make checks payable to: Lawrence Township. If you are paying through your own personal online bill pay, please be aware it often takes 7 days for your bank mail the check to us and you should take the due date into consideration before setting up your payment. Please include your Block and Lot number as well as the Qualifier (condos, some townhouses or commercial units) on your check or the property location. Failure to do so may prevent the processing of your payment.

Address for payment:

Lawrence Township Tax Collector

2207 Lawrence Rd OR PO Box 6006

Lawrence Twp. NJ 08648

Tax Sale Information

New Jersey Law requires all municipalities to hold a least one tax sale per year, if the municipality has a delinquent property taxes and/or municipal charges. Tax Sale is the enforcement of collections against a property by placing a lien against the property for all outstanding municipal charges due at the end of the calendar year (December 31). Tax Sale is normally held in the last quarter of the year.

Municipal charges include but are not limited to, Taxes, Sewer, Added/Omitted assessments, Special assessment charges and Violations (Health, Code or Construction)

How Can I Obtain a History of Past Sewer and Tax Payments


" autocomplete="off" style="" >

General Information

The Tax Collector is responsible for the billing, collection, reporting and enforcement of the municipal taxes for Lawrence Township. As a statutory officer of the State of New Jersey, the Tax Collector is obligated to follow all the State Statutes regarding property tax collection including billing, due dates, interest on delinquent tax payments and tax sale procedures.

Sewer Bills

Sewer Bills are due twice a year, April 15th and October 15th with a 10 grace period. All users shall be charged based on water consumed on the premises by a meter or meters in accordance with the following; a fixed charge per unit plus metered consumption or residential unmetered consumption or commercial unmetered consumption. Billing is not affected by change in ownership or residency. Forms of payment are the same as for tax payments.

Irrigation Meters: If a property owner wishes to have outside usage credited against his/her total overall usage, they may purchase and have installed at their own expense an irrigation meter. They MUST obtain a free permit through code enforcement and must pass inspection for this consideration.

Well Meters: If a property owner with a well wishes to be charged at the metered consumption rate instead of the unmetered consumption rate, they may purchase and install at their own expense, a meter for their well line. They MUST obtain a free permit through code enforcement and must pass inspection for this consideration.

How do I request the redaction of my name in accordance with Daniel's Law?

Request for Redaction of Name

Vital Statistics
How do I apply for a marriage license?

Click here for license application, NJ State website.

You must contact the Registrar at (609) 844-7093 for complete instructions.

The Registrar of Vital Statistics, Linda Ciosek (609) 844-7093 maintains marriage, civil union, domestic partnership, birth and death records from 1921 to present.

How do I obtain a certified copy of a vital record?

Complete and submit this form to the Office of Vital Statistics.

What are the registrar's hours?

Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Closed holidays.

Where do I apply for a marriage license?

Contact the Office of Vital Statistics, Lawrence Township Municipal Building. 609.844.7093

Hours: Mon. -- Fri. 8:30 am --4:30 pm

Water Bills
Water Utility Companies

Please click HERE to view utility companies and Water Company Map.