Health Department FAQs

Click on a question to reveal the answer.

No answers matched your search
Public Health FAQs
Where can I drop off my unused prescriptions?

There is a medication drop box at the Lawrence Township Police Department located at 2211 Lawrence Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648.

What types of medication may I dispose of in the box?

For safety reasons, the Project Medicine Drop box can only accept solid medications such as pills, patches, inhalers, and similar objects.

The box cannot accept liquids, medical waste, or syringes. Residents wishing to dispose of these objects should speak with their doctors or pharmacists to find the safest and best ways to dispose of them.

It should also be noted that only legal prescriptions or over-the-counter medications may be disposed of. Anyone wishing to dispose of any illicit drug, should follow the normal procedure of reporting it to the police.

How do I safely dispose of syringes?

Individuals with syringes used in the home should follow these steps to safely dispose of your syringes in your municipal trash:

Your syringes must be placed in rigid containers that will protect people from needle sticks. Use containers such as empty laundry bottles with screw on caps. After putting syringes in the bottle, Seal the bottle tightly with the original lid and wrap duct tape over the lid after you fill the bottle with syringes. You may dispose of the tightly sealed container of syringes in your household garbage- NOT in your recycling bin.

Automatic epinephrine syringes, regardless of type, are disposed of in the same manner as all other syringes.

How do I request an appointment for the Child Health Clinic?

Lawrence Township Health Department provides CHC Services to Lawrence residents from birth to 18 years old who have NO health insurance. Clinics are held once a month. Please call 609-844-7094 to make an appointment with the public health nurse.

Hopewell Township residents may come to the Lawrence Township CHC after receiving clearance from the Hopewell Township Health Department. 609-737-0120.

How can I obtain a copy of my vaccination records?

Records are available if you attended the Lawrence Township Child Health Clinic.

Please complete and submit this form, “Release of Medical/Immunization Record”. 

Once processed, records can be copied for distribution.

For additional information please call the public health nurse at 609-844-7094.

Where and when can I get a flu shot?

Influenza vaccination clinics are offered every year in the fall. As the flu season gets closer, please check the website for the upcoming schedule. 

Where can I get information about vaccinations needed for traveling abroad?

See your healthcare professional before you travel.

Find out here about vaccine recommendations and requirements for your travel destination.

Where can I find out about upcoming health screenings?

Please check this website for upcoming health screenings and education programs under the Health Department section.

Monthly screenings and special event flyers will be posted.

How do I get a marriage, remarriage or civil union license?

license for marriage or civil union can be obtained from the Department of Vital Statistics.

For additional information contact the Lawrence Township Department of Vital Statistics at 609-844-7093. 

Appointments are strongly recommended. 

Vital Statistics
How do I apply for a marriage license?

Click here for license application, NJ State website.

You must contact the Registrar at 609-844-7093 for complete instructions.

Marriage Executive Order Frequently Asked Questions

The Registrar of Vital Statistics, Linda Ciosek maintains marriage, civil union, domestic partnership, birth and death records from 1921 to present.

Where do I apply for a marriage license?

Office of Vital Statistics, Lawrence Township Municipal Building.

How do I obtain a certified copy of a vital record?

Complete and submit this form to the Office of Vital Statistics.

What are the registrar's hours?

Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Closed holidays.

Consumer Health FAQs
How do I apply for a food license?

 Please complete the Application Form and return it to the Health Department with the applicable fee paid by cash or check made to Township of Lawrence.

What is the process and requirements for obtaining a temp food license?

To obtain a temporary food license, please complete the Retail Food License Application form and contact the health department to schedule an inspection. 

Please review the guidelines for temporary establishments.

I would like to sell something at the farmers market, what do I need to do?

If you would like to sell something other than whole, uncut fresh fruits or vegetables, a food license is required.  Please complete the Retail Food License Application form and contact the health department to schedule an inspection.  Retail Food Establishments in New Jersey are required to be in compliance with the State Sanitary Code Chapter 24, (N.J.A.C. 8:24) “Sanitation in Retail Food Establishments and Food and Beverage Vending Machines.”

Environmental Health FAQs
Does the Township sell radon kits?

Radon kits are available for sale at the Health Department for measuring the level of radon in your home.

Free literature is available at the Health Department regarding radon testing and remediation.

How do I obtain a copy of my septic system plan?

This guide explains what homeowners should know about Septic Systems.

This form is for abandoning a septic system.

Where can I get my well water tested?
Who is my water service provider?

Please check this map for information concerning which utility provides water service in your area.

Animal Control FAQs
How do I obtain a dog/cat license?

The Township requires all dogs and cats 7 months or older to have a license.  Licenses are renewed annually.  Dog licenses are renewed in January and cat licenses are renewed in September.  You can obtain a license at the Municipal Clerk’s Office.  Proof of current rabies certification and proof of spaying or neutering must be presented at the time the license is applied for.  The fee is $11.00 if spayed or neutered and $14.00 if not spayed or neutered.  A delinquent fee will be assessed in the amount of $5.00 plus $1.00 per month for each month the fee remains unpaid.   For any additional, please contact the Municipal Clerk’s Office at 609.844.7000. To download an application use this link:
To apply online use this link:

How do I have my dog or cat receive a free rabies vaccine?

Free rabies clinics are scheduled twice a year to coincide with each of the licensing periods for dogs and cats. Advance notice on this will be posted on the website for these events Please adhere to the following guidelines to participate in the clinic:

  • All dogs must be securely leashed.

  • Muzzles are recommended if your dog is not used to being around other pets or people.

  • All pets must be under the close supervision of an adult at all times.

  • Cats must be in suitable carriers.

  • No children under the age of 7 years old may be present at the clinic.

  • Should you have any further questions, please contact our Animal Control Officer at 609.844.7092.

What should I do if I have any animal related emergencies after hours, weekends or holidays?

Please call the Lawrence Township Police Department at 609.896.1111. Examples of animal emergencies are as follows:

  • Domestic animal is struck by a car and is still alive.

  • Animal is sick or injured.

  • Stray animals that are attacking residents or causing a threat.

  • Wildlife in the living space of a residence.

What should I do if I have a wild animal (raccoon, skunk, bird, woodchuck, etc.) on my property that is orphaned, noticeably sick, injured or requiring some assistance?

Please call the Lawrence Township Animal Control Officer at 609.844.7092 between 8:30 Am - 4:30 PM. The Mercer County Wildlife Center is open 365 days a year. The center is located at Route 29, Titusville, NJ. The link to its site is here:Mercer County Wildlife Center

What are the Lawrence Township ordinances relating to animals?

There are many Township ordinances pertaining to animals. Click the link below to see a summary of ordinances regarding licensing, running at large, noise, animal waste and feeding wildlife.

Animal Ordinances 

Where do I call if I find a stray dog/cat?

Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., please contact the Lawrence Township Animal Control Officer at 609.844.7092.

After hours, please contact the Lawrence Township Police department at 609.896.1111.

Animal Health Issues: Covid-19
I need to have my pet spayed, but I can’t find a spay/neuter clinic that is open. Why have they been closed?

On March 27, 2020, Governor Murphy issued an executive order (# 109) calling for the suspension of all “elective” surgeries and invasive medical and dental procedures for adults in NJ. Although the order did not specify veterinary procedures, many veterinarians chose to suspend these services to preserve Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), which is currently in great demand and short supply. The NJVMA encourages all NJ veterinarians to suspend elective surgeries, non-emergency procedures, and well visits in order to limit exposure risk and conserve needed personal protective equipment. Veterinarians should use their clinical judgment when deciding which procedures are essential. The NJDOH low-cost spay/neuter program continues to reimburse enrolled facilities for eligible surgeries. NJDOH does not have the authority to mandate that a spay/neuter clinic or any private animal hospital remain open or to determine what services are provided.

I need to license my dog but can’t get a rabies vaccination from my primary veterinarian. Are rabies vaccines essential?

Yes, rabies vaccines (and other vaccines) are essential services to protect both human and animal
health. If your veterinarian is unable to accommodate your request, call other veterinarians in your vicinity to ensure your pet remains up to date with his/her rabies vaccinations. You can also contact your municipality and ask about local rabies clinics. Some municipalities are extending their licensing periods due to the pandemic (the license period may be extended through June 30th). Contact your municipality to see if an extension is offered. NJ has not waived rabies vaccination requirements.

The animal hospital I bring my pets to has closed due to COVID-19 concerns. If they are considered essential, don’t they have to stay open to take care of our pets?

No. As essential service providers, veterinary practices can stay open, but there is no
requirement that veterinary practices must remain open for business.

If your animal hospital has closed, they should provide reasonable options for emergency clinics.

I work at an animal hospital, and I need guidance on determining which of the services we offer are considered essential vs elective.

Veterinarians should use their clinical judgment when determining what services are essential. The NJVMA has guidance on veterinary issues, including questions to consider when making decisions on elective vs non-elective care: Guidlines

Veterinarians should follow recommendations for social distancing and infection control: COVID-19 and NJ Veterinary Practices: Social Distancing Information

I own a veterinary hospital, and I want to close my business for now, because I am immunocompromised. Do I have to stay open since veterinarians are considered essential?

No. As essential businesses, veterinary hospitals are permitted to remain open for business, while implementing social distancing practices, but they are not mandated to remain open. If you close your hospital, the NJ Veterinary Hospital Manager’s Association suggests the following ways to serve your clients:

  • Have information about the closest emergency clinic on your voicemail, business entrances, and website.

  • Send an email notification of the closure to all clients and include information about the closest emergency clinic.

I am a house call veterinarian. Am I permitted to continue to make house calls during the COVID-19 “shelter-at-home” rules?
  1. Yes, you may continue to make house calls for essential services, if you can do so safely while following infection control and social distancing guidelines. You can get more information from the AVMA house call page: House Calls Information

I am an employee at an animal hospital, and I’m concerned that the owners/managers are not taking proper steps to keep us safe. What resources are available?
  1. The NJVMA has provided tips to implement social distancing and infection control at your practice in the document COVID-19 And NJ Veterinary Practices: Best Veterinary Practices

  2. Many practices are using curbside check-in for most services to reduce exposure risk. One exception may be allowing pet owners into the facility for euthanasia. The clinic may also want to consider having dedicated staff interact with the public, to reduce exposure risk to the entire workforce. If your place of employment is not implementing infection control or social distancing where possible, and you want to make a specific complaint, instructions are below:

    • If you want to complain about an animal hospital/veterinarian, you can File Complaint Here. Click on the red tab in the upper right-hand corner where it says File a Complaint.

    • To file a complaint about a business violating the executive orders, please File Business Complaint Here.

    • To file a general complaint against any business, File Complaint Here.

I am an employee at an animal hospital, and I want to know if I am allowed to wear PPE to see my patients. I have heard that some clinics are not letting their staff wear PPE because of the shortage, while others are using too much PPE. Are there any guidelines for us to follow?

AVMA has some recommendations about wearing PPE: Broken Link 

These recommendations discuss strategies such as postponing elective procedures that require the use of PPE, safely extending the use of disposable PPE, re-using disposable PPE, and increased use of washable PPE. This AVMA page also includes links to the FDA, CDC, and WHO for more information.

Are dog-grooming facilities considered essential?

Yes. Pet groomers have recently been added to the list of businesses that are permitted to remain open.

Are dog shelters allowed to remain open during the COVID-19 shelter-at-home restrictions?

Yes, shelters, pounds, and humane societies are permitted to remain open, although some may have limited hours and services. There are many important functions that need to continue, including reuniting lost pets with their owners, finding adoptive or foster families for abandoned pets, and assisting humane law enforcement with cruelty cases.

Are dog kennels/boarding facilities considered essential?

Pet boarding facilities are included in the list of essential businesses permitted to operate. 

Essential Facilities

I heard that boarding facilities are considered essential, but the one I usually use is still closed. What if I get sick and need to go to the hospital, or I need to board my pet for some other reason. What should I do?

Pet boarding facilities are listed as essential businesses that are permitted to remain open; however, we do not have the authority to mandate that they stay open. If you are unable to care for your animal and cannot find a boarding facility, it is best to try to find a friend or family member to help. If this is not possible, and you must board your pet in an emergency, you can sometimes locate a veterinary hospital that would be willing to board your pet. Another option is to contact your county’s Office of Emergency Management (OEM). They may direct you to a County Animal Response Team (CART), which is a group of volunteers and other entities, such as government agencies and the private sector, with resources and personnel to respond to animal issues in disasters. The CART is organized under each county's Office of Emergency Management. For more information on managing animals during emergencies, please see the following website: Animal Emergencies

I work for an animal shelter, and we have been told to cease trapping, and are only to bring in animals that are sick or injured. Is this true?

The NJDOH concurs with the AVMA and the National Animal Control Association statements regarding animal services and temporary sheltering: Link Broken

The statements above include recommendations for animal control agencies to take active measures to eliminate non-essential animal shelter intake. Some of these measures include discontinuing low priority/non-emergency activity, such as capturing non-aggressive stray animals and responding to complaints about nuisance animals. High-priority and emergency calls (law enforcement assistance, injured or sick stray animals, dog bites, and dangerous dog complaints) should still be handled.

I volunteer for a non-profit dog rescue group. We have foster families in NJ ready to take in dogs that are being shipped into NJ from another state. Are there any special requirements for movement of animals during the COVID-19 pandemic?

All public gathering is prohibited and therefore an adoption event where people gather to obtain pets for adoption or transfer would not be permitted. Animals transported into New Jersey for adoption or transfer would need to be transferred directly to the foster or owner’s home or point of destination with all precautions being adhered to, including face masks and social distancing, hand washing, sanitizing, and continual cleaning and disinfection of surfaces. As always, dogs transported into New Jersey are required to be accompanied by a health certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian in the state of origin indicating that the animal is free from communicable disease and hasn't been exposed to such
disease. The certificate shall include the name and address of the seller or consigner and owner or consignee, the point of origin and destination, a description of the animal, and the type and date of any vaccinations that have been administered. Rescue groups and animal welfare organizations transporting animals into New Jersey for adoption shall comply with all applicable local and state laws, rules, and ordinances, including the Charities Registration Section of New Jersey Consumer Affairs and USDA APHIS Animal Welfare requirements for transporting animals across state lines in commerce (including adoptions).

y pet has to go to the veterinarian for treatment. How long is COVID-19 viable on my pet’s fur, and is it safe for me and my family to handle my pet after treatment if it may have been exposed during the exam?

At this time, it is unknown how long the virus can remain viable on a pet’s fur. It is important to practice good hand hygiene, which includes washing your hands for 20 seconds, after touching your pet and avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.